We are now supporter members of The Stove Industry Alliance
We are really proud to announce that Green Man Stoves are now Supporter Members of The Stove Industry Alliance. The SIA was formed in 2008 to promote and explain the benefits of wood-burning stoves and biomass appliances. It is an alliance of manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, independent retailers, advisory/test house bodies, sweep associations and other interested parties. formed to ensure the promotion of the latest low carbon, low emission, Ecodesign ready appliances. For us, this progression in the industry is of great importance as we strive to help our customers, to choose not only greener but the most efficient stoves.
What’s special about the SIA is that as they have grown, they are increasingly able to represent the stove industry with Government departments such as DEFRA and BEIS. These government departments, local authorities and other regulatory bodies recognise the SIA as the voice of the industry. They now regularly contact the SIA for the industry’s viewpoint.
It is so important for our industry to have the pathway of communication, provided by the SIA, so that consumers know the true beneficial impacts of wood-burning appliances but also, so Governmental bodies can help us to advance into a regulated, cleaner standard of production as seen in the Eco Design regulations introduced at the beginning of 2022.
The SIA focus heavily on the carbon saving benefits of wood burning stoves and they have shown that modern clean burning stoves can reduce particulate emissions from woodburning compared to open fires and older wood-burning stoves through the Eco Design ready scheme.
The SIA Mission:
“To promote and explain the benefits and environmental advantages of stoves as heating appliances”
The objectives of the SIA are outlined as:
- To represent to Government the industry perspective on legislation affecting stoves and to promote the benefits and environmental advantages of wood burning stoves and fireplaces.
- To emphasise that the members of the SIA commit to ensuring their products meet the appropriate standards of quality, safety, efficiency, and emissions.
- To independently promote the nature of SIA members’ products and services and to advise the public on how they can assess the quality, safety, and efficiency of these products.
- To maintain an independently audited system to monitor stove sales trends in the UK.
- To work with industry advisory and accreditation bodies to advise them of any issues which fall within their remit and are necessary to fulfil the objectives of the SIA.
- To undertake any activity, including independent research, which will further the understanding of the advantages of wood burning stoves and fireplaces and their context in government future strategies and media coverage.
We are really happy to be able to support the SIA in their progress within the stove industry, we will be talking more about the work they’re doing in future posts. Check back for more!